SITE C CAMPAIGN UPDATE
May 14, 2016
Site C is an environmental and economic disaster by Chief Lynette Tsakoza and Chief Roland Wilson
"While this government runs roughshod over our treaty rights, it has also shown a disdain for independent oversight, the integrity of the environmental assessment process and the citizens of British Columbia."
Mobilize to Educate Members of Parliament
The time is now to encourage individual letters, phone calls and meeting requests to all Members of Parliament, regardless of party or portfolio.
- Useful tips and other information on contacting your MP: www.stopsitec.org/visit_your_mp_and_tell_them_the_feds_can_stop_site_c
- Backgrounder from Amnesty International: www.amnesty.ca/sites/amnesty/files/imce/images/Site%20C%20Fact%20Sheet_1.pdf
- Full colour brochure you can print and leave with you Member of Parliament: https://keepingthepeace.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/may-16-site-c-campaign-brochure-for-individuals-w-hyperlinks.pdf
Please sign and let others know about a petition to the House of Commons calling for a halt to federal permits for Site C. Unlike other online actions, this is an official Parliamentary petition and will require the government to issue a formal reply.
Site C Webinar
A video recording of the recent webinar is now online, featuring Helen Knott, Rob Botterall and Andrea Morison
Let’s Get to 50!
More than 30 organizations have signed onto our joint statement on Site C: http://www.amnesty.ca/news/theres-nothing-clean-about-site-c-dam. It would be great to get to at least 50 signatories so we can do another media and advocacy push. If you are aware of other organizations who might sign on, please encourage them to do so.
11th Annual Paddle for the Peace
We hope to see as many allies and supporters as possible at the annual celebration of the Peace River, Saturday, July 9th, 2016, organized by the West Moberly First Nations and Peace Valley Environment Association. See www.PaddleforthePeace.ca
Site C in the News
* New action centre at http://realsitechearings.org provides MP contact information and talking points — we’ll send your letter for you too.
* Sierra Club BC’s letter-writing action to the federal government: http://sierraclub.bc.ca/take-action-centre/site-c-first-nations/
* Amnesty’s online petition to the federal and provincial governments now has over 41,000 signatures: http://bit.ly/1Uwwbnz
Produced by the Peace Valley Environment Association. Please circulate! https://keepingthepeace.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/mar-16-site-c-campaign-brochure-for-individuals.pdf
Donate to the court cases:
Donations to support the West Moberly and Prophet River First Nations in their legal challenge to the Site C dam can be made through RAVEN Trust and will be matched: http://raventrust.com/join-the-circle-no-site-c/
Joint NGO letter to Prime Minister Trudeau:
New organizations are most welcome to endorse: http://www.amnesty.ca/news/theres-nothing-clean-about-site-c-dam
Contact Craig Benjamin at Amnesty International email@example.com
Follow the campaign:
Facebook Twitter Website